(On Sunday, because, you know)
Welcome to Friday Roundup, where I share relevant things that came across my Internet during the past week, with you, my deserving and glorious readers. This series is inspired by Autostraddle's "Saw This, Thought of You" segment that is very worth reading too.
- Lately I’ve been watching a lot of badass Lilly Singh because I find her branded productivity really inspiring and she is a shero for sure. Her vlogs especially have been getting me out of my bed. At the same time, sometimes her comedy strikes me as classist anti-blackness-- specifically in the voices and personalities she invokes 'to be funny'. I feel this is largely an intra-community conversation I’m not a part of, so I will leave this here, but it has me thinking about the influencers whose media we consume and how we hold them accountable.
- Relatedly, I'm a big believer that comedy should Punch Up, Not Down.
Politics + the Environment:
- Trump has waived environmental regulations in the creation of the border wall.
- Trump also rolled back requirements to factor in flooding and climate change on major infrastructure overhaul. In the unveiling of his 'streamlined plan,' he refers to the U.S. as "a third world country."
- This follows the account that under the Trump administration, environmental law enforcement is down 60%.
- When I was in Puerto Rico during the full moon, my friends and I did a cleansing ceremony in the ocean. One of the things I let go of during this witchy-time was neglecting my hair. Since then I have:
- -Religiously been washing my hair only twice a week, Sunday and Wednesday
- -Using new products including Maui Moisture Curl Quench Shampoo, Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Conditioner, and Carol's Daughter Hair Milk. I have mostly good feelings about all three. I could do a full review if you like.
- My next step is to start doing protein treatments to restore my natural curls which have taken a beating from bleaching and improper care. I'm starting with #2 on this list because I have the avocado and egg on hand, but I need more hair protein treatment suggestions!
Help Me Out:
a new end segment on this series where I tell you what I'm clueless about and seek even more advice than usual
- I need advice on deciding if I really truly want to go to law school. Is there a magical quiz somewhere?
- I've now been denied for a car lease and an auto loan from my credit union because I don't have a cosigner--but I really need a car for work. I have no savings so I can't just buy one. What do I do?